From: Eric Walker <eric.wal...@gmail.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Fri, Sep 11, 2015 10:32 am
Subject: Re: [Vo]:time, separation and neutron tunneling cross section

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 8:47 AM, David Roberson     <dlrober...@aol.com> wrote:

     Does anyone know why this interaction varies as the sixth power of
separation?

Just to clarify -- the nuclear force is the one that drops off with the sixth
power (per Robin).  The speculative relationship between the "interaction
half-life" and the separation distance is unknown, although it would be great
to know what it is.  (I was just providing an example of what it might be.)

At the scale of nucleons the strong force, called the residual strong force, or
nuclear force, in this context, is what is left over from the interaction of
quarks and gluons within nucleons.  The nuclear force is effective at 1 fm, and
the nucleons are bound together within the nucleus through the exchange of
mesons, which are quite massive.  The more massive the force carrier, the
shorter its range.  In contrast to the residual strong force, the force carrier
of the strong force is the gluon, which is massless and interacts with quarks.
(Credit for this goes to Wikipedia.)

(I wonder if this means the range of gluons is far, and if not, why not.)

Eric