Why the strong force behaves this way - repulsion at close distance, and
then switching to strong attraction with very short fall-off - is a core
mystery of quantum mechanics and nuclear theory.  That having been said,
Don Hotson's analysis of the Dirac's equation as a TOE (theory of
everything) has a very plausible explanation of the strong force,
predicting both the very close repulsion and the strong attraction.  This
part of the description is in his 2nd paper, but you will need to read his
first paper to understand the second.

The strong attraction is an exchange force - sort of like a chemical bond
of electrons, but with the components of the nucleon being shared between
two nucleons.  This sharing can only happen at a very small distance.  The
exchange force reminds me of the force between a magnet and its iron keeper
- extremely strong at short distance and very weak at longer distance.  Not
sure this is a good physics analogy, but it comes to mind as I think about
it.

I find Hotson's analysis of what Dirac's equation implies to be very
compelling.  It really throws conventional quantum mechanics back on its
heels!  I have his papers, but there have been links to them several times
in Vortex.

Bob Higgins