On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 10:48 PM, Bob Cook <frobertc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Thanks for making that interesting paper available.  I have always assumed
> that angular momentum of particles and systems can only change in discrete
> small amounts.

This reminds me (somewhat off on a tangent to the topic of this thread) --
for anyone who is still learning about nuclear spin, as I am, there's an
important detail that is easy to lose sight of.  It is that a nucleus of
spin N, where N might be 0, 1/2, 7/2, 3, etc., will not necessarily
interact with other particles with the full magnitude of spin.  What is
important is the projection of the spin onto the axis of travel, which is a
function of its orientation.  So a particle with spin 3 can potentially
behave as a daughter in radioactive decays or in interactions with other
particles in the manner of a spin 0, 1, 2, or 3 particle, depending on its
relative orientation.

Another way to say this is that there are two numbers that are important in
an interaction -- the total angular momentum, J, which is a characteristic
of the state of the particle, and the angular momentum along the z axis,
"m," which is not a characteristic of its state.

Eric