From: Eric Walker
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2015 9:06 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Re: The vacuum is the glue that keeps the universe together.

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 10:48 PM, Bob Cook <frobertc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

  Thanks for making that interesting paper available.  I have always assumed
that angular momentum of particles and systems can only change in discrete
small amounts.

This reminds me (somewhat off on a tangent to the topic of this thread) -- for
anyone who is still learning about nuclear spin, as I am, there's an important
detail that is easy to lose sight of.  It is that a nucleus of spin N, where N
might be 0, 1/2, 7/2, 3, etc., will not necessarily interact with other
particles with the full magnitude of spin.  What is important is the projection
of the spin onto the axis of travel, which is a function of its orientation.
So a particle with spin 3 can potentially behave as a daughter in radioactive
decays or in interactions with other particles in the manner of a spin 0, 1, 2,
or 3 particle, depending on its relative orientation.

Another way to say this is that there are two numbers that are important in an
interaction -- the total angular momentum, J, which is a characteristic of the
state of the particle, and the angular momentum along the z axis, "m," which is
not a characteristic of its state.

Eric