Hi,
[snip]
>And so the question arises, how does the EM drive "know" what its reference
>frame is?  Shawyer claims (or seems to imply) that the unit cost of
>acceleration increases as we would normally expect (distance over which a
>given force is applied keeps rising) - but how does it measure "distance"?
>Relative to what, exactly?   Without physical reaction mass, such a system has
>its own unique reference frame - from within which, energy may be conserved,
>but which from without, cannot be.
>
>I mean this not as a crtitique against the plausibility of such systems, and
>share the prevailing cautious optimism.  But if they do work, then we also
>have an energy anomaly.
[snip]
Is the energy anomaly resolved if it pushes against the mass of the universe
(i.e. against space-time itself)? In which case it would indeed be just like a
train on rails. In short, momentum is conserved, and all the energy ends up with
the moving object. I suspect that this is the basis of Shawyers argument.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk