Jed Rothwell wrote:

I think Brian wants them to measure power going into the power supplies. That sounds like a good idea to me. Probably a lot is lost between the power supply input and the reactor core, but you could still compare a null run to an excess heat run. You could confirm that the apparent excess is not coming through the power supply that produces the fancy waveform.

Yes. That is the heart of the problem.

If you need a complex waveform to show gain and it entails losses to produce that waveform, then that those losses are part of the input requirement and it is disingenuous to claim otherwise.

Thus a gain of say 150% is reduced to almost no gain... if the waveform is lossy... and the result is what Brillouin does not want to admit: almost no net gain.