Bob Higgins wrote:

Keep in mind that plasmon-polaritons don't exist without conduction band electrons. In any kind of dense matter where the electron has entered a sub-conventional-ground state, it would seem that the electrons cannot enter the conduction band.

Good point, Bob - but arguably, superconductivity could substitute for conduction band electrons.

In fact, the quatrino looks a bit like a Cooper pair of protons plus a Cooper pair of electrons. They certainly have lower energy than the Fermi energy and if the lower energy is indeed the functional equivalent of "cold" then we should expect dense hydrogen in the Mayer definition could be superconductive. The spacing is even correct, is it not?

Otherwise, you're probably correct that dense hydrogen clusters could not function as a plasmon-polariton without something more.

The problem with the idea of "superconductive dense hydrogen" then becomes this: would not the Meissner effect keep them from forming clusters? That will require some thought. I suppose one could invoke monopoles, but that may demand another "miracle".

Possibly the cluster includes both quatrinos and nickel, for instance a BCC of nickel enclosing the dense hydrogen.