One consideration that I feel is important to understand is what PT
symmetry violation means with respect to CP symmetry violation. We
understand that we can produce PT symmetry breaking using optical
mechanisms but can PT symmetry violation somehow generate CP violation
which is required to produce the decay of the nucleon (protons and
neutrons)?

>From the various descriptions of symmetry in this article:

https://www.europhysicsnews.org/articles/epn/pdf/2016/02/epn2016472p17.pdf

Space time (PT) Symmetry is only valid in an open system where energy
and/or matter can be gained or lost. In a closed system, PT symmetry does
not exist since a closed system can neither gain nor lose energy and/or
matter. Because LENR requires CP symmetry breaking and CP symmetry breaking
requires PT symmetry breaking, LENR can only occur in an open system.

Open vs. Closed Systems

Systems can be either open or closed. A closed system is one where a
quantity or series of quantities cannot enter or leave the system. For
example, a system might be closed to energy, meaning energy might not be
able to enter or leave the system. A vacuum thermos flask does a really
good job of stopping energy from leaving the system to keep your drink
warm. So it might make sense to treat it as a closed system - but no system
in the real world is ever perfectly closed, so it will only be an
approximation.

The opposite of a closed system is an open system. An open system is one
where a quantity or series of quantities can enter or leave the system to a
significant degree. If you pour your hot drink into a mug instead of a
vacuum thermos flask, the heat will escape relatively quickly into its
surroundings. So a mug is most certainly an open system! Open systems are a
lot more complicated to understand than closed systems, and so scientists
prefer to work with closed systems when possible. Science usually stays
away from open systems because closed systems makes things much simpler to
explain and can be a good starting point before trying to explain open
systems, too. Quantum mechanics only deals with closed systems.

Traveling backward in time.

If you make a movie of yourself throwing a ball, and thread the film
backwards, it'll look the same as you catching a ball. So if you want to
think of the falling object as being the same as the rising one going
backwards in time, the physics will support that statement, but it doesn't
sound all that cool.  It is, however, the same thing as antimatter being
viewed as going backwards in time.

At the most basic level, the laws of physics are symmetrical: reverse time
and they will follow the same route in reverse.  Reverse the charge, and
things will be attracted where they would have repulsed, and vice versa.
Flip them both, and you've flipped it twice, so it's just like you started.

Since a positron is exactly like an electron, only with the opposite
charge, then if you (a) replace an electron with a positron, and (b)
reverse time, it behaves exactly like an electron.  The physicists call
this Charge/Parity (CP) symmetry, where "parity" is actually more like
looking at things in a mirror rather than flipping time, but it's the same
idea.

Flipping time is another way of looking at flipping left and right: a
left-moving object going forwards in time is just like a right-moving
object moving backwards.

An electron like a ball sitting in the same spot is a closed system. It
cannot change into a positron because it is not moving. The motionless ball
is a closed system which cannot experience CP symmetry breaking. A moving
ball is an open system where its motion can be deemed to have CP symmetry.

So in an open system that has experienced PT symmetry breaking, LENR occurs
because the nucleon undergoes CP symmetry breaking since in this case PT =
CP.

In optics, there are special conditions involving optical cavities that can
experience PT summitry breaking. These cavities can reach out magnetically
and become entangled with nucleons via their magnetic projections. This
phenomenon is known as the chiral magnetic effect(1) — “chiral” means
“distinguishing left from right, When PT symmetry is broken in these
entangled open systems of optical cavities and nucleons decay via CP
symmetry breaking. The energy of the nucleon decay flows one way into the
optical cavity.

It seems to me that it is central to the understanding of LENR to
appreciate the mechanisms of symmetry breaking with regards to nucleons.

1 -
http://www.preposterousuniverse.com/blog/2010/02/16/violating-parity-with-quarks-and-gluons/#comments