+0000:
Hi,
[snip]
>Catalytic reactions leave the catalytic agent unchanged, as I understand such
>reactions.

Actually catalysts always change in the short term, but are restored in the long
term. IOW it's always at least a two step process.
In the case of Mills catalysts, the first step is frequently ionization,
followed in the longer term by recapture of a free electron which thus restores
the original catalyst. The first step absorbs energy from the shrinking H atom,
the second step releases energy back to the environment in the form of photons.

>If the agent is changed then a many- bodied nuclear/atomic reaction would be
>involved—as per Schwinger,  who was "scorned" when he proposed that nuclear
>energy could be shared with bound electrons , as Jones recently noted.

Shrunken H atoms/molecules would make the sharing of fusion energy with
electrons much more likely, because the electrons are in much closer orbits, and
may even be drawn into the nucleus during the tunneling event that captures a
proton/deuteron, thus being able to carry the reaction energy away directly,
analogous to the way in which beta decay energy is carried by a fast
electron/positron. A more appropriate analogy might be [internal conversion|
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_conversion].

[snip]
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk