At 08:30 AM 9/17/2009, Roarty, Francis X wrote:
Thanks for the link - I will check it out presently but just to be clear (I was sleep deprived in the previous post) I do realize the goal is fusion and was referring to a bootstrap step to get up to those velocities. I am assuming there are many such "intermediate step theories" but was trying to feel out which, if any, or a combination of all, they are using to guide the materials selection for the proposed kit.

Actually, the goal is not fusion, per se, but to demonstrate the physical effects that lead many of us to conclude that low-energy nuclear reactions are taking place. By making replication cheap, the kit project aims to improve public understanding of these effects, as well as to facilitate certain kinds of investigation into the source of the effects. Other kinds of investigation, as Jed Rothwell points out, require highly sophisticated instrumentation and researchers. In my mind, it all fits together: wider public interest and acceptance will eventually foster and facilitate better acceptance and funding of research.

As some have pointed out, if, when codeposition results were first reported, someone had run a kit project like this, we might be a decade ahead of the game. To me, it is not crucial if the reaction is actually fusion, or even if it is actually nuclear. I want the kits to demonstrate at least some of the effects that lead some to conclude that it's nuclear. It is theoretically possible that the kits will result in a rejection of some substantial fraction of "cold fusion" claims. That would happen if the kits are tested, and reliably show the effects that are the basis of, say, the SPAWAR claims of neutrons and the older and more substantiated claims of charged particle radiation and cathode heating, the kits are sold more widely, *and then* someone uses the kits to conclusively show that the pitting of CR-39 isn't from charged radiation, or that, perhaps, somehow codeposition sucks up radon from the atmosphere, and other claimed effects likewise have more prosaic explanations.

On the other hand, that's not the result I expect!

(Failures during the kit design and early testing process will be different, because we may run into apparently harmless engineering variations that aren't harmless. Unless we get donor money, and maybe even if we do, the early kits will also be sold, I assume -- funding has to come from somewhere -- but with clear caveats, no representation that they work beyond reporting very small-scale testing.)