At 09:29 AM 10/29/2010, Nick Palmer wrote:
I think the bit about his brother being a secret service agent and saving a bus load of kids raised the biggest red flag to me.

Nick Palmer

There is a host of details like this. Each one is possible, if only remotely possible. I started to realize that the story seemed to be dense with these over-the-top details. There are a number of possible explanations besides "it happened that way."

Mark wrote:

His nephew, Phillip Lebid, was a Secret Service agent and sacrificed himself at age 30 to save a bus load of kids. Phillip was very behind what we are doing and we miss him greatly.

In this case, this was literally true. http://www.policespecial.com/inthelineofduty/2004/04-143-Lebid.htm

Notice an aspect of this: there is no sign that they were working on anything other than nanomachining with re-entrant water jets, in 2004. Notice the conflation between what they were doing, which PIllip supported, and "what they are doing," which would be the very unusual work.

I do assume that, however, Phillip would support any real research, as would -- and do -- I. I'm simply maintaining an awareness of the possibility that the whole thing could be seriously in error in some way.

It's very clear that to some degree and in some ways, Mark's story is true. The question is how far it's true. And when I look for independent confirmation of the wild stuff, I've found none. None. And a pile of oddities, each one iffy, like the secret service agent story.

If someone presents you with ten iffy facts, and you verify some of them, and they turn out to be true, that does not mean that the others are true and, in fact, a skillful hoaxer will find as many of these iffy facts as possible to present, precisely looking for the "if he was right about that, he's probably right about the rest" response. It's a well known deceptive technique.

That doesn't mean that Mark is lying. It does mean that there is a lot of work to be done, by him as well as by others.