From: Craig Haynie
Subject: RE: [Vo]:Quantum Transitional State

> To justify using such a radius, the inventor must resort to finding an
> argument whereby the nucleus can appear to be much larger - voila: string
> theory and sound vibrations, which arguably push the radius into size range
> where the numbers finally work. Thus everything now seems to mesh, when this
> fiction is applied ... if that is - you can suspend disbelief and overlook
> the details of the derivation.
>
> Of course, all of this machination is (arguably) done in support of a
> particular constant - which can appear as a velocity, but which essentially
> has little validity in actual experiment, when you look a bit closer. If
> there was some baseline validity in experiment - then the liberties taken
> with the proton radius would be a bit easier to swallow.

I have a couple of issues with the way that Vt is derived. As a
non-scientist, it uses 2 values of which I know very little:

1) To use Hooke's Law, it calculates the maximum repulsion between
protons, but uses the coulomb barrier as the limit to which protons
could be compressed against each other. It uses the value 2 * 1.409e-15
for this.

Force = Q^2 / ( 4*pi*eo (2*1.409 x 10-15 )^2 ) = 29.053 Newtons

2) But then within the nucleus, as the spring displacement, it uses 2 *
1.36e-15 meters as the distance between the protons.

This leads me to a question:

If the protons are spaced at 2 * 1.36e-15 meters in the nucleus, then
wouldn't the force between them be greater than that calculated at the
coulomb barrier at 2 * 1.409e-15? Or would there be any force at all,
considering the influence of the strong nuclear force? Without this same
force, why would the spring constant be correct?

As I understand it, the reasons that 1.36e-15 m was chosen as the radius
of the proton inside the nucleus, are from experiments where they've
tried to measure proton separation inside the nucleus. One in particular
is referenced for this value:

http://tinyurl.com/38wso8c

So if they've measured the distance between protons in the nucleus at
1.36e-15 m, then I think this is a logical place to build an equation
like Vt. However, with Vt placed only at 4 significant digits, all
correlations with it and other physical constants could be just
numerology. It might just be a coincidence that it could be used in
atomic equations in place of Planck's Constant. But statistically, this
likelihood grows smaller as more accuracy is discovered for Vt.

So, since there's no physical relationship between Planck's Constant and
the 1.36e-15m proton spacing in the nucleus, but there IS a predicted
relationship between Planck's Constant and Vt, and definitive
relationship between Vt and the 1.36e-15m, THEN why not use Planck's
Constant to calculate the effective proton radius in the nucleus, and
see if it doesn't hold up upon further analysis. I have no idea how hard
it would be to find a better value than 1.36e-15, but if it could be
done, then we could test the predictive value of Vt, and demonstrate a
relationship between Planck's Constant and the spacing of protons in the
nucleus.

Otherwise, it just might be a coincidence that Vt seems to have a
relationship with Planck's Constant.

Craig