On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 10:11 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Them too. I had in mind government regulatory agencies, but UL approval is
> also required de facto.

There is also Factory Mutual; however, my experience is that they are
even more stringent.

Then again, there are the restrictions in San Francisco and Chicago,
two cities who have experienced, er, "flaming renewals".  Their AHJ's
(Authority Having Jurisdiction) can require special testing beyond UL,
FMC and CSA (the Canadian tester).

There are customers who are not necessarily "friends of Uncle Sam".
Applications exist whereby the threat to life and property is
irrelevant; but, while being commercial, their market is limited.
These can include utilities and operations whose exposure levels are
self insured.

Banks and insurance companies rule he world.