Horace Heffner wrote:

As far as I know, this is the only eCat that Levi et al. tested in December, which is when the event occurred. The flow rate was typically ~300 ml/min I believe.

Are you sure about that flow rate being present in the heat after death observation?

How else could it work? It would run out of water. Very little fits into the cell. You cannot do flow calorimetry without a flow. It would be like trying to do it without measuring the temperature.

It does correspond roughly to 12 kW boiling power. Of course, it could also mean water was pushed out of the top of the device during the run merely giving the appearance of 12 kW output when it is assumed all water is boiled.

If that happened, the temperature would drop. You can see that easily.

For that matter, if you cannot tell when there is steam by the temperature, the method would not work at any time, under any conditions, whether there is input power or not. The data would be meaningless; all of the results would be in error. This error would have been revealed during the 18-hour flowing water test, as Rossi and I have pointed out many times.

The input power is 80 to 400 W, which is small fraction of the output power, so cutting it off entirely has little effect on the total output. Obviously, reducing overall output from ~12 kW to ~11.2 kW will not stop the thing from boiling!

A calorimetric error mistaking 400 W for 12,000 W is out of the question. The worst flow calorimeter imaginable would not produce such a large error.

I am curious as to how the steam was observed if the hose was in the drain. If the steam stopped then water pouring out of the hose should have followed immediately if the 5 ml/s pump rate was maintained.

If the steam was stopped, the temperature would drop immediately. There is a constant flow of water into the cell. It takes little time to replace all of the water with cold water. If the only source of heat was electricity, two things are certain:

1. It could not be 12 kW in the first place. The wire would melt. You can't possibly conduct that much electricity over an ordinary wire.

2. Boiling would stop within seconds, and the temperature would drop.

It is notable that in the right conditions "steam" will be seen coming off a hot bowl of soup, or even a cool river. You can't actually see steam of course, only condensation. Too bad there is no video of this event.

You cannot tell much about steam by looking at a photo or video. You cannot discern the quality of the steam. Lomax claimed here that he can determine the velocity of the steam by looking, but he did not describe his method. I do not think that is possible.