On Sep 15, 2011, at 10:42 AM, Jed Rothwell wrote:

Stephen A. Lawrence <sa...@pobox.com> wrote:

But my opinion is the only one I've got, so naturally, I believe it.

You have no choice. Belief is not voluntary. A person cannot persuade himself that 2+2 does not equal 4. That is the problem with some arguments in favor of religion such as "Pascal's wager." Pascal cannot choose to believe or not believe.

But when you are aware that other people who appear to be experts disagree, it should give you pause. Of course experts are sometimes wrong. Also, you have to watch out for a logical fallacy, "Fallacious Appeal to Authority, Misuse of Authority:"

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/appeal-to-authority.html

Some people think that citing any authority is an invalid argument. They confuse a fallacious appeal to an actual, valid appeal.

- Jed

An appeal to authority can only affect one's judgement of the probability of truth. It is non-Aristotelian. It is a sales tool. It is not a logical argument, and thus can not be either valid or invalid. It is not possible to take a set of true premises, apply only an appeal to authority argument, and from that determine a new premise that is known to be true or false. There are plenty of examples of a single scientist being considered wrong when no authority agreed, only to have time pass until most authorities agreed . The validity or invalidity of logical argument is forever. The perception of truth can be fleeting.

That's my personal opinion anyway. Maybe a reference to an expert opinion on that can be found. 8^)))

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/