On Sep 15, 2011, at 6:49 AM, Jed Rothwell wrote:

Horace Heffner <hheff...@mtaonline.net> wrote:

More importantly, the claim that all the water was being converted to steam, the repeated, defended, and heralded basis for thinking something practical has been created, the basis for the "calorimetry" of the public demos, is now shown to be without basis in fact. The hose was taken off. Water pulsed out of the outlet right at the exit of the E-cat in large quantity. It obviously did not condense there.

That is true. However, in the Krivit test and other previous tests, the flow rate was lower, so I do not think you can compare them.

I provided the numbers Jed. As I showed numerically, it was not reasonable that no water was ejected in the prior demonstration tests unless the tests were run at precisely the right input power (from electric plus LENR) at all times to just boil all the water yet not raise the steam temperature. Not likely! Further, I showed that at the flow rates and input power, with no LENR power, the results of prior demonstration runs could be replicated *provided no one looked* to see if water was flowing out of the E-cat. Now we have the fortunate case that *someone actually looked*. The emperor has no clothes! No one will be making the assertion (at least with any credibility) that all the water has been converted to steam, without some good level of actual physical observation. The prior assertions, that all the water has been converted to steam, made without actually looking, now clearly have no credibility whatsoever. Those prior assertions actually never did have any credibility. That is the relevant comparison.

Also if they had put a probe into this stream of steam and water and withdrawn it, it would have come out wet, whereas in previous tests it was dry.

This depends on where the probe was located inside the device. It was located where the temperature was above 102°C. It therefore was in a well away from the water flow.

In general I agree that a non-steady state mixture of water and steam is difficult to measure. I wish that Lewan had sparged the steam and water. Before this test, I sent messages to Lewan, Rossi and others urging them to do this, but they did not. They had a perfect opportunity to do this, with that large plastic trashcan. It will easily hold enough water to condense all of the steam.

This would have been far superior to doing nothing. Better to insulate the barrel. Also, better to run the output through a heat exchanger first and do flow calorimetry on the cooling water, and isoperibolic calorimetry on the cooling water source and water out. Most high school kids could probably build a heat exchanger suitable for this.

By the way, flow rate was almost exactly 3 g per second.

This is not known. It is only known for the period of time for which flow measurements were actually made. The new E-cat obviously has some means to restrict output flow rate (and thus input flow rate) and to drive pressure way up. The pump likely does not pump at the same volume against all pressure heads. It would be interesting to know how such a pump reacts to a complete output flow blockage at the E-cat end of the input hose. It appears that such a flow blockage occurred prior to the venting of the water plus steam at the bottom of the device at the end of the test.

Input power will be enough to vaporize 0.7 g assuming no heat radiated from the device. That is extremely unrealistic. So the fact that about half the water was vaporized does indicate there was excess heat.

More to the point, during the 35 min. heat after death event, the temperature did not decline much. This is proof that there was anomalous heat. Stored heat can only produce a temperature that declines rapidly at first and then gradually.

This is false. There is thermal storage on the outside of the device, in the form of lead. The thermal resistance between this material is much higher than the thermal resistance between the heater and the water. The test documented was highly dynamic. It is entirely feasible and in fact predictable that a thermal pulse would arrive from the lead thermal storage layer in a delayed fashion.

In the arctic, where water pipes are often buried 10 ft deep or more, it sometimes takes hours for a thermal pulse to freeze the pipes. If one cold night occurs, followed by a warm day, the pipes can freeze during the warm day because the cold thermal pulse is just arriving at the pipes.

After the power went off the temperature did not decline rapidly. Therefore the input power of 2.5 kW was only a fraction of the total power. If the total power was around 5 kW where 2.5 kW was half, the temperature would've fallen a lot faster and sooner.

We do not know that. We do not know the interior construction. What we do know is the new device is massive, 80 kg dry weight from Lewan's report. That is a huge thermal mass.

Lewan estimates the water volume of the cell at 22 to 30 L. If there had been no anomalous heat the temperature would have fallen sharply within minutes. You can boil a pot of 22 L of hot water and observe this easily.

This is a false analogy. A pot does not weigh 80 kilograms, and is not insulated.

Turn off the heat, and it stops boiling instantly. It starts to cool a few degrees in minutes. The temperature never rises and never stabilizes, unless you change the insulation (or the flow rate, in this case). In this case the temperature will certainly fall quickly because during the 35 min. 6 kg of cold water was added to the cell. The heat capacity of this water far exceeds the total heat capacity of all the metal in the cell.

This is not known. We know nothing of what the 80 kg of mass comprises. We do not know the temperature to which the thermal mass was driven. The specific heat of water is 4.186 is 4.186 kJ/(kg K). Delta T for the water to boiling is 70°C. That is (4.186 kJ/(kg K))* (70 K)*(6 kg) = 1758 J to heat the water to boiling. Suppose the 80 kg thermal mass o the E-cat is mostly steel and copper (at 0.40 kJ/ (kg K)) and driven to a temperature of 200°C. That is (at 0.40 kJ/ (kg K))*(200 K)*(80 kg) = 6400 J, about 3 times as much as needed to bring that flow to boiling. Further, we do not know the actual flow rate for that period because we do not know the pressure head the pump was driving against, unless of course the 6 kg was actually measured for that period? Also, is the project so cash encumbered that it can not afford a kWh meter?

Of course the thermal mass could possibly be mostly lead (at 0.14 kJ/ (kg K)), but on the other hand it could be mostly Mg ((at 1.05 kJ/(kg K)). We don't really know. Even if it is mostly lead, and driven to 200°C, it will still hold more than required to bring the 6 kg to boiling. Since the amount of steam was not actually measured not much more energy has to be supplied to provide some steam.

It is also notable that the thermal mass could be heated to more than 200°C. We don't know the nature of the heating element or its location. We are otally in the dark and force to guess about most everything. The important thing is obviously to obtain a quality measurement of total energy in vs total energy out for each test. Then no knowledge of what is in the E-cat is necessary. What could be more simple?

Now the new E-cat never reaches equilibrium. This is a far more difficult regime in which to do accurate calorimetry, and a far better regime for self deception.

That is true, but there is no doubt it was boiling for 35 minutes with no input power. Anyone who ignores this fact is engaged in the worst kind of self-deception imaginable.

I think ignoring the new demonstration, which is an even better playground for self delusion than the previous demonstrations, is reasonable. The prior demonstrations were very badly done, demonstrated nothing. The new one thus far has the same fundamental problems, only they are worse. Even more guessing games are required. Even more conversation is generated. Much more work is required for any kind sensible analysis (if that is even possible) of the pittance of data available, due to the thermal dynamics involved. What a waste of time. Maybe the best thing I could do is go away for a month or two and come back to see if the conversation here is still at the same nonsensical level it is now. Maybe NASA will look at Rossi's device. Maybe they will confirm that something novel is happening. I hope so.

Further, the E-cat mass has been greatly increased, and the max input power increased. The "heat after death" from mundane causes will now obviously be much longer.

This cannot sustain boiling for more than a few seconds, at this flow rate. Metal cannot store much heat, and this cell was producing excess heat the whole time, so there was no possible storage at all. With 2.5 kW input only, it would have transitioned from boiling about one third of the water to boiling none of it, and that would have taken a few seconds at most.

Good grief!   Did you bother to do any calculations?

- Jed

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/