I am afraid household electricity is just not going to get much cheaper -
maybe 20-30% drop, but it probably will drop far more for industry.

The cost of ownership and maintainence of in-house LENR based electrical
power generation will still make it marginal as to whether it is worth
doing.  Problem being the extreme spikiness of loads with average of
500-1000 watts and peaks of 5-10kW.  Having a household system that can
deliver such peak power while also not being excessively wasteful for normal
use is expensive.  Batteries cost at least $0.05/kWh for electricity (due to
high up front cost and limited cycle life) - which is about what a power
company charges to deliver power anyway.  Also small heat engines and LENR
are high maintenance and expensive (probably 1-2 times a year needed) - and
any maintenance callout will be a large fraction of a house's yearly
electricity bill.

So it is very hard to pick whether it will be:
1/ Current Utilities
2/ Smaller neighbourhood schemes that are possibly best as they can smooth
loads out over say 20-30 houses while saving the cost of most grid
infrastructure and reducing overall maintenance costs
3/ A more capital expensive home system with some future cheaper battery
storage and a very long-life reliable and cheap heat engine.

I think probably neighbourhood 100kW-1MW will win, but there will still be
niches for all three options.

I also agree that DC is the ultimate solution.  New inverters/converters
(particularly using SiC JFETS) have efficiency that equals transformers, and
if you look around a house there are not many appliances that really need AC
- most could utilise DC quite happily at no extra cost, DC also simplifies
battery backup.