At 10:54 AM 10/21/2011, Jed Rothwell wrote:

This is like suggesting that a nation that happens to have a lot of silicon to make glass will go on using vacuum tube computers long after transistors are invented.

Bad analogy : excepting Galium Arsenide, most chips are made up of Silicon, Oxygen and Aluminum ... the three most abundant elements in the earth's crust:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abundance_of_elements_in_Earth%27s_crust

I was unpacking an old trunk recently, and came across a slide presentation I made called "The future of sand" -- pointing out that chips and optical cables are made from refined sand. (Must have been about 1975).