On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 10:54 PM, David Roberson <dlrober...@aol.com> wrote:

> Ok, I just did some calculating about the 1% power regulation you insist
> upon and it is bogus.  Do you wish to prove your point?

If the output is dry steam, and the flow rate is constant, which would be
the case if the heating element is exposed, then the output power is

(dm/dt)(c1*deltaT1 + L + c2*deltaT2)

where c1 is the specific heat of liquid water (1 cal/gK), deltaT1 is the
change in temperature of the water (about 80C), L is the latent heat of
vaporization (540 cal/g), c2 is the specific heat of steam (0.5 cal/gK),
and deltaT2 is the temperature change of the steam.

So, that means the power is proportional to

(620 + .5 deltaT(in C))

Now, if you look at the temperature graph, after boiling is reached, it is
pretty well between 100C and 110C, for a fluctuation of +/- 5C. Actually
the std dev is quite a bit smaller.

And a fluctuation of  +/- 5 C results in a fluctuation in the power of +/-
2.5/620 or about +/- 0.5 % for temperature stable within a range of 1%.

Now, if the heating elements are submerged, and the output  flow rate
varies with power, then the level is bound within a tight range, meaning,
as I argued before that the average flow rate would have to be matched to
the power to an accuracy of 1% to avoid either exposing the heating element
or sending liquid out of the ecat. Here the 1% comes from the fact that the
ecat is filled 11 times during the test, and assuming that you have to fill
it to about 90% to cover the heating elements.