JC:

Thx for the explanations, relevant or not, however, I still think that the
discussion wandered from my initial point, which was, given proper
conditions, one can disrupt the natural balance within a nucleus and cause
unexpected results using much lower levels of energy by using resonance
rather than brute force.  I have to spend time on paid work so let's just
agree to disagree.

Aside from that, your comment that the large accelerators go way beyond the
energy necessary for overcoming the Coulomb Barrier seems to be only
partially right.  In the following article, the physicist states:

"In other words, even the most massive stars, at the incredible pressures
and temperatures found at their cores, cannot fuse nickel and hydrogen
nuclei together."

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2011/12/the_nuclear_physics_of_why_w
e.php?utm_source=feedburner
<http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2011/12/the_nuclear_physics_of_why_
we.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Sciencebl
ogsChannelEnvironment+%28ScienceBlogs+Channel+%3A+Environment%29>
&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ScienceblogsChannelEnvironment+%28Sci
enceBlogs+Channel+%3A+Environment%29

So, even the most powerful accelerator built cannot overcome the CB for the
vast majority of atomic elements.

-Mark