There have been many disputes in the history of cold fusion. They have been
about theory, experimental results, and in some cases politics and
personality. In my opinion, this dispute, as carried on by Larsen and
Krivit, is the most absurd. It is the most pointless. I do not mean that
theory is unimportant. I refer to these bizarre notions:

1. You should fight for a theory. Nope. If the theory is right, it will
prove itself over time. There is no point to trying to shove it down
people's throats.

2. That there is some sort of conspiracy by people who think this is a form
of fusion, and some of them such as McKubre have fabricated data to support
that hypothesis. I regard that as the single most idiotic notion in the
history of this field, and this field has produced a cornucopia of stupid
notions.

3. It matters what you call cold fusion. Correct terminology is important.
It isn't! This issue is about language, not physics. I know more about
language than Larsen does. If the WL theory is right, and if in the future
enough people agree the technical terminology should be adjusted to reflect
reality, they will change the name.

The researcher quoted here has it right:

http://blog.newenergytimes.com/2011/12/29/lenr-researcher-refuses-to-abandon-fusion-term/

"I feel it would be much better to allow people to use the terms they are
comfortable with. Let people use dozens of terms if they like.  Let history
decide what term sticks after another 20 years or so.   It is better to
view terms and other people as how their statements can be true instead of
trying to force others to use your terms and then assume others wrong.
Nature does not care what we call these events."

I have been reading more books about the history of electricity from 1880
to 1910, especially this one, which my daughter got me for Christmas:
"Empires of Light: Edison, Tesla, Westinghouse, and the Race to Electrify
the World." Two things about this stand out in my mind:

First, the terminology for light bulbs, filaments, transformers and many
other things changed quite a bit in the early years.

Second, while this history is inspiring and the work of genius in some
ways, it is also chock full of politics, theft of intellectual property,
ignorance, stupidity, hubris, jealousy, mismanagement, wasted opportunity,
and all of the other problems that plague cold fusion. It makes me feel
better about cold fusion.