The "war" against the phrase "cold fusion" seems to derive from some sort
of attempt at spin control on the whole affair.  At some level, if the
phrase "cold fusion" can be "debunked" then the physics establishment can
save face in the eyes of the vast majority of the population.  It is that
concern that is behind the strong emotions about WL theory -- even though
WL theory doesn't debunk the FPE and the FPE is all that is needed to see
that the nuclear physics establishment is rotten to the core.

Public relations is insane, which is why sensible people are rarely
successful.