This is a lot of aluminum consumption.  These are back-of-the-napkin-style
calculations, so I apologize if I've missed something, but (unless I've made a
large mistake) it appears that:

2[Al ]+ 6[H2O] + CC => CC + 2[Al(OH)3] + 3H2

So, two atoms of aluminum are consumed for every three atoms of diatomic
hydrogen gas?

Assuming a typical current hydrogen price (from natural gas) of $3/kg, with
2.016 grams/mole = $.006048/mole
Assuming aluminum is a typical $2.172/kg, with 26.98154g/mol = $.058603/mole.
   With a 2/3 molar ratio in the chemical equation, we’re looking at
$.058603/mole x 2/3 = production of hydrogen cost through Phillips’ method of
$.03907/mole

So, we currently produce hydrogen at approx. $.006048/mole, and the amazing new
method is $.03907/mole? It’s roughly 6.45x more expensive? It's great that they
are achieving great strides in catalysis modeling, but this looks to be an
excellent way to ruin aluminum feedstock.

There are some industrial uses for Aluminum oxide (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminum_oxide).  Industrially, there may
factories that could use aluminum scrap material to both supply hydrogen power
generation for the factory, and harvest the aluminum oxide byproduct for use in
their production processes.

Absent that, am I missing something?