At 03:42 AM 4/10/2012, Alain Sepeda wrote:
Some point agains WL by AUL Lomax are ok, but they also are against DD fusion.

Depends. What is "DD fusion"?

There is a known set of reactions which can be called "DD fusion." That is not what is happening in the FPHE. Obviously.

The Storms review (2010) does not claim "DD fusion," rather he writes about the fusion of deuterons. He does not specify the number involved, and one of the theories he cites is Takahashi's 4D BEC collapse fusion theory. Hence I typically write about "deuterium fusion," without specifying the mechanism. If deuterium is being converted to helium, with no other major products, the heat generated will be 23.8 MeV/He-4. If this is through 4D fusion to Be-8, no gammas are expected, and there is no rate issue, because the 4D collapse is a single BEC formation and collapse. The intermediate product is formed within a BEC, and we don't really know, as far as I can tell, how this would behave. But Be-8 is highly unstable, I think the half-life under normal circumstances is a femtosecond, and it would decay to two alpha particles. Plus, of course, the four electrons.

gamma are expected in both cases.

They are expected with ordinary d-d fusion to He-4, which is a very rare branch.

Nobody is proposing that kind of d-d fusion.

 WL give a strange solution, but DD give none...

I'll say it again, nobody is proposing "DD."

especially if you take into account Ni+H, W+D,... and also the strange LENR that WL have gathered (ligtnings, rocks breaking, wires explosion, coke factory nitrogen anomaly, japanese arcing in oil, )...
So there should be a different mechanism for Ni+H...

Obviously. No matter what, in fact, unless Widom and Larsen or someone else can explain, and test, a common mechanism.

He4 as explains give no hint on the precise reaction, and DD or WL are solutions.

Sure. Quite the same. "Solutions" that don't match the experimental evidence, either one.

the fact that WL does not give unique answer to the 31Mev average energy, is a reason to keep open to alternatives. It is clear that WL cycles are very various, and their might even be some "no cycle", or soup cooking...

There is no evidence for *any* of these transmutations. It's all made up. I.e., W-L say that X -> Y could happen. Fine. If you get these neutrons, that could happen. Now take that idea and make some specific predictions where the results can be observed. That has not been done, as far as anything published. What seems obvious to informed observers is that W-L theory makes some obvious predictions that are contradicted by the evidence. If that's incorrect, where is the analysis by W-L that it's incorrect?

Essentially, they are stonewalling.

Larsen in his slide does not criticize Mac Kubre experiment, on the opposite, he support that his results are better than what he says himself. He seems more to criticize the Error margin that seems to match just too fine the DD theory.

There is no "DD theory."

There is an obvious deuterium fusion theory, which need not involve "d-d fusion." Or there might be some form of d-d fusion that guides the fusion to only the helium result, with phonon transfer of energy to the lattice. Maybe.

But it doesn't matter. We don't have the mechanism, and Widom and Larsen don't take us closer to having it; the theory, indeed, creates new mysteries. One aspect of it, essential to any continued consideration of possible neutron formation, would be verifying the gamma absorption.

That's completely missing. We have no reports of any experiments to find it. I'll repeat: Larsen was asked by Garwin about this and declined to comment, claiming that the information was proprietary. Well, they now have a patent on a gamma shield. So ... where is the evidence?

A patent is invalid if it does not provide adequate information to make a working device. I suspect they have an invalid patent....

the lack of detected neutrons could work with DD->He4, but this branch (probability 1/137 compared to T+n & al) is strange... even more than heavy electrons... good reason to have no strong opinion on any of the two theories.

Two bogus theories, you are shuffling them around and comparing them.

If you want to look at 4D -> 2 He-4, that's more plausible, but still remains incomplete and unproven.

We *know* what will happen if there are loose slow neutrons on the surface of an FPHE cathode, and that doesn't happen, the evidence is strong. We don't know what will happen if a BEC forms from two deuterium molecules and collapses to fuse to Be-8.

This is important: if the precursor physical configuration, with two deuterium molecules in a certain arrangement that might be possible, forms a BEC and collapses, it *will* fuse, 100%. That's what Takahashi showed, though I'd be far happier if his study were independently confirmed. That was just a "test" configuration, and he didn't study how far the material could deviate from the pure tetrahedral symmetric configuration. Kim suggests BECs in general, it's roughly the same idea.

Because of recent evidence, still unpublished, I'm wondering, myself, if a BEC can form with a single deuterium molecule. Because it is looking a bit like the reaction might indeed involve only two deuterons. I hope to be able to discuss this publicly soon.

But my primary concern is with experimental evidence. Having a plausible theory is great, but proves almost nothing except the possibility of a plausible theory, and there can exist more than one plausible theory, even if we have only imagined one.

globally it seems that something is missing in each theoretical approach.
we should stay openmind.

We should stay open-minded no matter what. Science is not about fixing conclusions and turning them into rigid beliefs.

And then there is engineering....

the neutrons, and weak interaction seems an interesting direction...
WL theory have weaknesses. Heavy electrons, are know phenomenons, but in that context it is hard to swallow naively... Naively isotropic screening of gamma seems strange, but maybe is ther something we miss, or that even the theorist missed.
maybe is there a similar theory, waiting to be found...

There are piles of theories to explain cold fusion, and many are still being explored. There is no particular shortage of theories, or, more accurately, imaginations. There is a shortage of experimental exploration of specific theories.

I know of one recent exploration, and it's important. Hagelstein, exploring vacancy theory, wherein normal lattice vacancies, which will form in palladium at approxiimately known rates, and in conjunction with his ideas about phonon transfer from the reaction to the lattice, predicted that stimulation of a Letts cathode (that's a piece of carefully prepared palladium foil, loaded with deuterium to perhaps 85% loading, and then plated with gold) at certain phonon frequencies, specifically 8 and 15 THz, would show resonance effects at those frequencies. Letts confirmed this, published in 2008, using dual laser stimulation with beat frequencies, scanning the THz region. A resonance was also found at 22 THz, which is speculatively explained as being due to hydrogen presence.

This is a preliminary confirmation of Hagelstein's work. A lot of work remains to be done.

If Hagelstein's vacancy theory is correct, fusion rate is highly correlated with vacancy formation rate, which varies with temperature. Obviously vacancy formation rate is not the only required condition.

What this suggests is that a vacancy in the palladium matrix, produced by a palladium atom being knocked out of position (it takes about 1 eV to do this), may be the Nuclear Active Environment.

But much remains to be explored, and this would not explain the specific mechanism.

more classic DD fusion also have problems, but could be accepted when we discover some new facts, like done for WL with the heavy electron idea.
the branch ratio, the Ni+H success raise problems...

What new "fact"? an imagination is not a fact, except, of course, as an imagination. Yes, Virginia, you imagine Santa Claus.

what we know from the experiments :
- reaction Pd+D happens, but also less Pd+H,  strong Ni+H, W+D...

No, we don't know that. PdD is very well established. PdH is not. Ni-H is not nearly as established. There is some evidence for WD.

- clear energy production, with nuclear source (or at least more than chemical)

"Nuclear" is known from PdD. "Clean" is speculative, in fact, because this starts to refer to commercial levels of power production, and we don't know what it takes to satisfy commercial requirements. Ni-H, for example *may not be clean."

We cannot make conclusions from secret, proprietary information.

- nearly no neutrons or ultra slow neutrons

W-L theory uses ULM neutrons, i.e, very slow. Why they would be very slow is a bit mysterious, but I won't go there now.

- nearly no gamma at level coherent with power

Yes. Helium is being produced without gammas, that's very clear.

- transmutation of heavy nuclei, letting hypothesis of nucleon absorption by heavy nucleus

Heavy nuclear transmutation is not well established, compared to helium and heat. Probably, yes, but the levels are low enough that they cannot have much to do with the primary reaction, as it normally proceeds.

- He4 correlated to power, coherent with DD or WL phenomenons

WL fails to explain the observed correlation. Deuterium fusion (not "DD") does explain it, reasonably well, with additional work suggested.

this let room for many solutions, and WL is imperfectly filing some holes. DD impertect too.

Again, red herring. "DD" is not a fusion theory that is tenable, even if an eventual theory does perhaps involved some kind of DD fusion. W-L theory is untenable, it's noise at this point.

Krivit and Larsen appear to want to compare W-L theory with "DD." That could make W-L theory look good! But it's a false comparison, and W-L theory, on it's own, is *preposterous*.

That is, if neutrons are being formed as described, we would *strongly* expect certain results that don't happen. A whole series of "miracles" are required, not just one.

If that expectation is incorrect, nevertheless this is the common understanding among most experts, as far as I've seen. And Larsen, with his beautiful slide show, hasn't begun to address the objections adequately to even motivate others to try replication or falsification experiments. W-L theory has been around for years, it's not new.