It seems to me that the heavy or ---identically--- the speedy electrons
cannot be confined to orbit an atom; they need the wide open spaces of the
open lattice to show off their speed.

Only low energy electrons can orbit atoms. The referenced articles do not
talk about neutrons, just electrons.

In the spirit of the W&L theory, I think that very low energy quantum
particles get involved with atoms and this would include gently easing into
nuclei during cold fusion.

Hot fusion means fast quantum particles; cold fusion means very slow
quantum particles.

Cheers:   Axil