Eric, at the risk of deviating from the issue, here is one prominent example of
an INDIVIDUAL named Richard Kaplan, author of "An Empire Wilderness: Travels
into America’s Future (1998)", deconstructed by JM Greer, who shoud be termed a
national treasure of american thought.
See:
http://thearchdruidreport.blogspot.de/2012/07/distant-sound-of-tumbrils.html

As a nonnative speaker of the american language I am struck by the elegance and
deepness of thought, which JMG shows.

Here he addresses Richard Kaplan as a concrete person, who dared to encounter
to bridge the gap between the abstract and the concrete, and, as JMG rightly
elaborated, understood exactly nothing.

A cautious tale:
Please value Your treasures. JMG being one of them. This I say from a distance.
Kurzweil being a disgrace in comparison, with poor logic.

Having a terminal disease, what exactly does he do to ascertain his immortality?
Just asking. Deepfreeze? Ha!

This despite that I suspect that transhumanists are the majority here.

But someone must be the minority, right?  Here I am.

I am not your everyday cornucopian, as you probably noticed. More like

http://xkcd.com/1007/, having a bitter laugh at some follies of my compatriots
in the journey into the uncertain.

Guenter