Hi,
[snip]

>I want to put in my 2 cents worth concerning repulsion between neutrons.  If
>two neutrons meet in free space I would think that they would be attracted
>together by the strong force.  The reason that this combination would not
>remain together might be that there is no path available for the binding
>energy to escape before they fly apart.  The deuterium nucleus has one neutron
>and one proton that can remain together since the accelerated proton with its
>charge emits electromagnetic radiation.  Hopefully, once some binding energy
>is released the two nucleons would not have sufficient energy remaining to
>rebound apart.

If two neutrons were capable of binding, then one might expect them to
occasionally do so with the aid of a third particle with which momentum could be
shared resulting in an energetic third particle and an energetic di-neutron.
Hence one would expect to occasionally detect di-neutrons. AFAIK none have ever
been reported. I suspect that neutrons do indeed repel one another at very close
range because of their negative near field.

>Robin, I am hoping that the coupling or entangling of your proton cluster with
>the proton entering the target nucleus will absorb much of the released
>binding energy at a controlled rate and prevent the emission of high energy
>gammas.   It is my opinion that the high energy gammas must not be emitted at
>any time.
[snip]
If a proton cluster fuses with a Nickel nucleus, than many reactions become
possible, including cold fission reactions where most of the energy appears as
kinetic energy of the fission fragments. Such fragments are heavy and slow, and
will not produce any bremsstrahlung of significance.

This is essentially what happens in current fission reactors. However in these
reactors the trigger particle is a neutron, and the nuclei are already very
heavy to start with, so the daughter nuclei are always going to be neutron rich,
and hence frequently radioactive.

When the triggering "particle" is a proton cluster, the excess neutrons are
compensated for by the additional protons, and the daughter nuclei can be stable
(as they would prefer to be - stability implies an energy minimum).

This is especially true if the initial nucleus is not too heavy, i.e. doesn't
have too large an excess of neutrons.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk