For the convenience of our readership at vortex I will post a rebuttal to
Dr, Feynman's account*.*

 *http://www.infinite-energy.com/iemagazine/issue51/papp.html*

     Feynman's Mistakes and the Recovery

But at the public meeting the next month at which the fatality occurred
(see the local newspaper account of the fatality and injuries-p. 30) was
Caltech physicist Richard P. Feynman (1918-1988), who had worked on the
Manhattan atomic bomb project in World War II. Before even arriving at the
demonstration, Feynman assumed that the Papp engine, whose operation he was
about to witness, had to be part of an elaborate hoax. We know this because
he recounted his reactions during the episode in his widely circulated
internet account touted by the "skeptic" community (see "Mr. Papf's (sic)
Perpetual Motion Machine," p. 29).

But here is the central problem with Feynman's analysis (which has many
other errors of fact and logic embedded in it): There was a court action
against Feynman by Papp and his backer, Don Roser of Environetics, Inc., as
a result of Feynman's inept attempt to disprove the Papp engine with his
unauthorized pulling of an electric control-circuit wire that Feynman
egregiously imagined had to be powering the engine. It was unfortunate for
Feynman that the wire's gauge was far too thin even had there been a secret
electric motor within the retrofit Volvo engine. Furthermore, as you will
read, the engine kept running even after the flimsy wire was removed.
Feynman asserted that Papp most likely had deliberately planned to blow up
his own engine to avoid subsequent discovery of the "fraud"! And, Feynman
acknowledges that there was an out-of-court settlement with Caltech.
Surely, had there ever been the slightest piece of evidence that
conventional explosives blew up the Papp engine that day, Caltech would
most certainly not have had to settle. Papp would soon have been charged
with manslaughter, no doubt, and Feynman would surely have cited this
evidence publicly. He was not one to shrink from dramatic gestures. Caltech
also had the motive and the means to skewer Papp with the kind of evidence
that is routinely gathered by police departments and crime labs following
explosion accidents.

However, all records of the investigation into the accident appear to have
vanished down some kind of a memory hole. I believe they exist somewhere,
but we have not been able— yet— to obtain them. On June 29, 1998, Caltech's
very helpful Associate Archivist, Shelley Erwin, faxed me: "Well, the
mysterious affair with Mr. Papp/Papf continues to remain mysterious. I have
found nothing in the Feynman papers that refers to it. Nor is there any
obvious reference to Mr. Papp or the lawsuit in administrative or publicity
papers from the time. We do not have a clippings file for the 1960s, so
that is one type of resource I did not investigate. . .I think I have done
all I can here, without any useful result. We would be interested to know
how your search comes out— if indeed this is a true account. I wish I knew."

I made more recent contact with various Caltech offices, which could not
provide me with any records— not even its public information office had
newsclips, and efforts to locate official accident reports in California
have come up dry. Some of these may have been destroyed, according to some
police departments contacted. After all, this is an accident that happened
thirty-five years ago. But the point is that nowhere, so far, do we have
any evidence that the explosion was a result of illicit explosives. Failing
such direct evidence of hoax, the proved violence of the explosions— the
November 1968 and the October 1968 ones— strongly point to the reality of
the Papp process. But we also have the contemporary laboratory work that
establishes convincing evidence— visual and by instrumentation— that noble
gases can be made to explode and achieve over-unity. Heroic work on a
shoestring budget over the past few years is recounted in broad scope by
researchers Mark Hugo and Blair Jenness in Minnesota (p. 51). We hope to
feature their work in greater depth in future issues. Heinz Klostermann of
California, whom I met two years ago, has been of great assistance in
assembling some of the information that went into this issue of Infinite
Energy. On p. 55, he discusses his broad knowledge of many of the groups
working in the U.S. in the past and today in the effort to recover the Papp
engine technology. He has begun his own independent initiative.

  Cheers:  Axil