I am having difficulty following the discussion from afar. Would someone
please summarize in a few sentences what has happened with the Papp machine
that brings it back into attention?

I gather someone claims they replicated it? Is there any evidence they
actually have? I don't quite follow who is claiming they have done what (to
whom). A little like an orgy seen from a distance.

I have known some people who took Papp's claims seriously, such as Gene
Mallove, but I have never heard of an independent replication. There was
that horrible accident with Feynman. A lot of people, including Gene,
blamed Feynman for that. I have never heard what happened to the motor
after that. Nothing, as far as I know.