On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 1:14 PM, David Roberson <dlrober...@aol.com> wrote:
> Yep, it is speculation at this point.  Do you have any idea as to how the
> liquid behavior would generate the piston thrust?  We need any new ideas out
> there as we attempt to understand this device.

Consider a hydraulic piston. It works because a liquid is extremely
incompressible.

At the moment of the hypothetical phase transition from gas to liquid,
the liquid finds itself under compression by the mass of the position,
but since a liquid strongly resists any compression it pushes the
piston.

A plasma is often referred to as the 4th state of matter, so plasmas
may have some liquid-like properties that  don't  occur in gases.

> I am approaching the device from an unusual electric motor design.  We know
> that charged ions are in motion which will generate a magnetic field.  I
> also see evidence that the electrons will head toward the positive voltage
> electrodes while the ions will go in reverse.  The axial magnetic field will
> cause both types of particles to rotate within the cylinder in opposite
> directions.
>
> I am thinking that the collisions between the neutral atoms and the
> circulating particles will lead to mass ionization.  If LENR occurs due to
> the ions and other factors, it will add energy to the mix which ultimately
> does the external work.  It is early in the understanding, but it has
> possibilities.
>
> I visualize that the very rapidly changing magnetic field induces currents
> in both the piston as well as the end cap in opposition.  This process may
> further enhance LENR by behaving as a form of pinch for the ions between the
> two fields.  The force that drives the piston would be supported by a
> reaction force applied to the end cap of the cylinder.  In my way of
> thinking this would help explain why the ions are not pushed away from the
> center of the reaction region as the piston accelerates away from them.
> This process would by necessity require both the piston as well as the end
> caps to be highly conductive.
>
> The process I have outlined is very speculative and I realize that, but if
> the engine is to function at all and run warm, then it can not be any form
> of normal heat engine since the efficiency of these is rather poor.  The
> efficiency of an electric motor is quite good and hence my push in that
> direction.  The Papp engine might actually be a form of electric motor that
> uses LENR to generate linear motion efficiently.  Lets hope for such a
> process.

harry