I am not sure that it will go anything like as far as you believe Jed, but some elements are already present. The first twenty years of my working life were spent automating the production of telephone exchange equipment, which resulted in many 1000s of people who used to work on the production lines being made redundant. Many of them still do not have jobs, and the area is now one of the most deprived areas in the UK. A small number of people (such as myself) were paid a lot more to do the continuing design work, until we were made redundant when the production and design was moved to China. So yes we need a new economic system to distribute the wealth in a workable way as people like me continue to make millions of people redundant, or maybe people would prefer to be in work, even if it is digging trenches, rather than sitting at home watching daytime TV.

Nigel