After stopping the experiment and watching the temp drop, I see I was
losing more heat than I thought.  Taking this into account there appear to
have been times over 100% efficiency (not including losses of energy to
electrolysis).  I saw a drop in temp of 2.5F in 60 mins after removing
power.  The temp of the 1 gallon of water dropped 16.9F in 7 hrs.

So I have an average of 2.4F temp loss per hour.  To be conservative, I
factor 2F of heat loss into my formula, and exclude earlier values in the
run where the ambient temp and bath temp differ by less than 10F.

Here are my COP calculations with those assumptions.

 Time COP  14:56:00 1.43  15:19:00 1.3  15:36:00 1.12  15:51:00 1.2
17:03:00 1.2  17:50:00 1.12  18:52:00 0.98  19:51:00 0.93  20:09:00 0.95

Here is how I calculate COP (sorry I use English units, I'll convert to
metric in subsequent experiments).

Input power.

W = ((Amperage at Time 1 + Amperage at Time 2) / 2) * ((Voltage at Time 1 +
Voltage at Time 2) / 2) * (Minutes in interval / 60)

Then convert to BTU.

Input BTU = W / .293 (converting watts to BTU)

Output Power.

Output BTU = (Temp at time 2 - temp at time 1 + (2 * (minutes in interval /
60))) * (134.25/16)

Note - 134.25 is the weight of water in the surrounding bath and
electrolytic cell in ounces and the 2 refers to heat loss per hour.

COP = Output BTU / Input BTU

Please let me know if you see any errors in my formulas or logic.  Even if
I presume a heat loss of 1.5F per hour, four of the values in the above
table still give over-unity COP.

What I don't like about what I did above is needing to calculate in heat
loss.  I suppose I can wrap the styrofoam bucket in insulation
(Rossi-style).

Jack