>From Robin:

>  ... In either case, it's obvious that each bird takes
> it's queues from the others in one way or another, otherwise
> there would be no flock at all.

The flock appears to be the leader.

Here's a great You Tube flick of a small flock of starlings defending
themselves against an attack by a hawk. The behavior of the "flock" in
making in what appears from our perspective to be making singular decisions
becomes more apparent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8eZJnbDHIg

Of course each of the individual starling are reacting collectively by
bunching up closer together to stymie the Hawk, but that's the whole point.
Visually speaking, it appears to be the resulting collective behavior that
is most startling and apparent. The collective behavior is greater than the
sum of its parts.

Regards,
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com