At 06:02 PM 1/2/2013, Jed Rothwell wrote:
Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

Kullander and Essen were taken in. Whether or not there was really generation of heat, in what they witnessed, is debatable.

Nonsense. I am sure they were right. They checked carefully. Instruments of that nature, such as commercial flow meters, are highly reliable and there is no way Rossi could make a fake one.

That's not the issue. Jed, I'm shocked.

You have no evidence they were taken in. They are smart people and they have been doing experiments for decades.

Not of this type.

Many other people observed these tests and apart from Krivit not one has said there was anything fake about it.

No, *many people* have examined the results and came up with problems that were overlooked by Essen and Kullander. Yes, Krivit pulled all of this together, but he didn't invent it. This has been discussed to death on Vortex.

Several people, such as the NASA group, said the tests did not work the day they saw them. It was obvious the thing was not working.

Which, as you know, only means that the thing wasn't working.

If Rossi was faking it, why would he make the machine look like it is not working on the day NASA showed up?

You've already come up with one reason. Another would be very simple: it's not reliable and it wasn't working on the day they showed up.

Presumably a fake demonstration can be made to look like it is working at any time, since there is actually nothing difficult going on, but only an illusion.

Rossi developed a technique vulnerable to a certain illusion. Perhaps, if we want to speculate, he realized that NASA might see through it. So. No demonstration. Jed, your imagination is sometimes poor. When imagining possibilities, much more freedom is required!

There is a reason why we want to see independent replications. They are *much* harder to fake, and it's also harder to make an innocent mistake, to be fooled by an artifact.

You keep claiming that scientists are easy to fool, but you have never said what specific, actual method might be used to fool them. Your assertion is not testable or falsifiable.

Okay, scientists could be fooled by the unexpected presence of overflow water. They could assume that a single look at the outlet hose would be adequate to show that there was no overflow water. No, the hose would have to go into a bucket to show that, and the hose would have to be well-insulated and short. As you know, that was not the experimental setup. Overflow water, when quantity of water boiled is the measure of heat, is fatal to accuracy.

Kullander and Essen also attempted to use a humidity meter to measure steam quality. That was as much of a bonehead error as were Pons and Fleischmann's neutron results. More so, in fact, as a little research on steam quality would have shown. At last Pons and Fleischmann were using a neutron-measuring device! Humidity meters do not measure steam quality, period.

And to this day, as far as I know, Kullander and Essen have not clearly addressed the problems. That is *not* a good sign!

But the proof of it, that they accepted, was clearly defective.

Says who?

I say so. I reviewed that evidence, and that's my conclusion.

Why was it defective? Because and invisible Leprechaun was changing the power meter reading when no one watched?

Jed, you might consider taking up kite flying. It was defective for the reason you know: the measurement of power was defective. Too many ways for it to be off.

I wrote that there was no way that fraud could be ruled out, and that's a general truth. A sophsticated fraud can fool *anyone*. However, there are easy frauds and very difficult ones, and simple error, to boot. The demonstrations were flawed. That they were accepted was, therefore, also flawed. That does *not* mean that there was no generated power, XP. It *does* mean that we don't know how much, or even if there was any.

Perhaps you recall Rossi's answer to a suggestion that he do control experiments.

That shows that even people considered expert can be fooled.

No, it does not. You are making unfalsifiable assertions, like Mary Yugo's. You have demonstrate how they were fooled.

You are fooled, right now, Jed. Fooled by yourself. That's the way in which most frauds operate, in fact. They feed into the assumptions people will readily make. That's how magicians work, and, believe me, a good magician can make tricks look very, very real. It's *easy* to fool people, if you work at it.

Fooling a *subject matter expert* can be much more difficult. It can still be done, particularly if the expert has only a naive understanding of what frauds are possible. Experts, except experts in fraud, mostly assume that what they are told is correct. They may check this or that, but, for example, not continuously monitor input. Really, there were many holes in the Kullander and Essen observation. They were not prepared for the task. They were invited by Rossi, and set up.

Rossi would not have allowed usage of instrumentation that would have been definitive, that is almost certain. You know that he's refused help. So if an observer is confined to very limited observation, how complete is their work? At the very least, they should have specified fully what they did *not* check. But they also erred, with the humidity meter gaffe.

It's pretty clear to me that Rossi should not have announced until he actually had a reliable device ready to sell.

I disagree.

You are free to do so.

The story is that Rossi announced at the wish of his friend Focardi. That's touching, but ... what if it cost him a billion dollars?

No. Word was getting out anyway. He did not reveal anything that endangered his IP. I heard about him a year before the tests.

Yes, I'd heard about him too. But that does not mean that he should have announced.

He is no worse off now than he was before the tests. Not much better off either.

Well, if he pulls a E-Rabbit out of a hat, that passes everyone in a flash, and you can buy one, and it works, he could recover. But he's built up a huge reservoir of distrust. He might have trouble getting attention.