The tragic thing is that the economy actually would benefit if half the
unemployed were paid to dig holes in the ground and the other half paid to
fill the holes in.

This is the result of insane political economics.

So it is true that even if there is no global warming, paying unemployed
people to fight it would result in trillions of dollars of benefit simply
because wealth is so insanely maldistributed that the demand side of the
economy is failing to attract capital to job-creation.

The first thing you do in any business plan is look at whether there is
demand for the thing the business provides: No demand -- no investment.