Jed is right, there is no committee that decide of truths.
Just network of interest where committee and leaders are super-nodes,
because they can drown the other in pits of stupidity without the other
having any chance to survive...
so better to follow happily and die, rather than oppose and die.
that is how delusion wins. note that initially it is a rational opinion,
but with time it became a delusion because people are too much committed in
an error, and have to ignore facts. It is aggravated by people depending on
others more important people that are delusioned, and who make their own
individual opinion without good consequence.

it is well described in Benabou papers
http://www.princeton.edu/~rbenabou/papers/Groupthink%20IOM%207p%20paper.pdf
http://www.princeton.edu/~rbenabou/papers/Patterns%20of%20Denial%204l%20fin.pdf