On Mon, Jun 3, 2013 at 11:42 AM, James Bowery <jabow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've seen it claimed by a rather emotionally committed skeptic -- with
> some background in conducting CF runs with calorimetry -- that an adequate
> 19th century technology water-bath style calorimetry of the E-Cat HT would
> cost "a couple hundred bucks maybe...".  Obviously if this is true then the
> $20,000 budget for the E-Cat HT test available to Levi et al (2013) would
> have been more than adequate.  Clearly, if this estimate is accurate then
> it is easy to understand why a skeptic might get emotionally committed to
> discounting the report:

I didn't see the claim, but I suspect some hyperbole was involved. But I
would be skeptical of a $20,000 budget when a technology of this value was
being validated, and you can buy tube furnaces off the shelf with water
cooling in the range of 10k. Then the only thing that might be necessary
for good calorimetry might be additional insulation.