are'nt gamma the way to compensate momentum ?
and neutron the expected nuclear products?

by the way I appreciate the way yeong kim explain why lattice is not free
space :
"even though I clearly recognized that the conventional nuclear scattering
theory at positive energies cannot directly be applied to nuclear reactions
involving deuterons bound in a metal, which is a negative-energy
bound-state problem. Quantum scattering theory describing the Coulomb
barrier problem is applicable to scattering experiments with nuclear beams."

a much more sexy explanation than my microelectronic experience that QM in
solid is ... strange... ( ;-) )