What I have understood is that momentum conservation is a shortcut,
uncounscious to "free space" physicists. It mean "gamma" as one particle to
compensate momentum.

In lattice, momentum can be dissipated in many way, moreover particles are
so bound to other particle that the allowed change/excitation, involving
many real particle, make some pseudo-particle emerge as "excitation of the
system"... like phonons, polaritons, hole, virtual mass electrons.

what I've understood, is such:

in fact particles don't exist as object, but are allowed excitation of the
fields...
In a lattice the field are so much coupled, glued, tightened, that the
pseudo-particle are the only allowed excitation of the field, but this
excitation involve many fields, and many what are usually independent
excitation (particle)...

imagine that you see people in a train station exchange hall...
each passenger have his trajectory, and move interacting with others. For
pani prediction in public place IBM have modeled them as lone particles
reacting at 2m by collision avoidance.
imagine now a couple with kids? a virtual particle appear... you cannot
break it, or it will create new uncommon interaction, like separating
quarks.
In a crowded metro, you can see very funny pseudo particle, like holes,
compression, some virtual mass, viscosity and rigidity... add a familly,
luggage, and you will see many pseudo-particles, bigger than individual.

Applying free-space physics, and momentum conservation  to LENr is like
applying ballistic and IBM model of travelers, to a crowded metro cart in
fire.

I imagine physicist can find a better way to explain it... this way to
explain is how I understand it.

What I take from that explanation is mostly modesty about lattice QM, like
one should have in closed place crowd prediction.