Lou,

It might be informative for any of us who have an interest in coherent or
semi-coherent emission and absorption in the optical spectrum (or lower), to
take this idea further - and try to find actual parameters for a stimulated
lasing regime which "on paper" could be active inside the stainless tube of
the HotCat. A good place to start is "chemisorption." Can we "supersize" it?

Such an outcome could be inadvertent (on Rossi's part) and it could be
"quasi" coherent, in the sense of superradiant. And the purpose is not to
produce a beam per se- but to produce an internal resonance for thermal gain
via a photon positive feedback of some type.

Here is a paper on optical pumping of an IR laser
http://proceedings.spiedigitallibrary.org/proceeding.aspx?articleid=1006553

Thermal input alone can in principle provide the IR light needed by the
lasing medium, which we could presume as a starting argument is a hydrogen
based molecule. However, the input of HotCat would surely be limited to a
long wavelength based on 800 degree C thermal radiation unless it comes from
a chemical reaction triggered by that thermal input. If the gain is related
to a whole fraction of the Rydberg energy, then there are only a few
frequencies of interest in this range.

In the paper above, experiments are performed on a optically pumped KF or
hydrogen fluoride laser. Rotation-vibration transitions in the (2,0) band
around 1.3 micrometers are pumped, and lasing is observed on (2,1) band
transitions near 2.7 micrometers. As fate would have it, a transition of
interest in "chemisorption" known reactions happens to be in this same
micron range. That is the hydrogen-copper system. It has a large activation
energy of .35 to .85 eV. which includes two Rydberg whole fractions.

The vibrational excitation of the hydrogen molecule is known to promote
dissociation on low index surfaces of copper and copper nickel. As it turns
out, .85 eV is a whole fraction of the Rydberg energy and along with .425 eV
would be of interest as the active semi-coherent radiation spectra capable
of the ultimate goal - sequential pumping protons lodged in nickel into
deeply redundant ground states ... where gain comes from conversion of
electron angular momentum into energy. No nuclear transitions are required
for this.

Jones