The observation that the Rossi HotCat could be operating as a crude
resonator tube - may not have struck a chord with everyone here... at least
not yet. Understandable - since it may not be readily apparent how that
benefits the situation, even if true.

However, methinks the idea of a coherent resonator will catch-on eventually,
especially if Rossi's public success continues with the HotCat. This new
regime seems like a major breakthrough to me, and that image of the glowing
tube is very powerful. It is no wonder that careful Swedish scientists were
willing to go "out on a limb" in their paper. Consequently, for future
reference, here are a couple of more thoughts on the subject of a harmonic
thermal resonator and how it could be involved in net thermal gain.

A "parametric oscillator" is a harmonic oscillator whose dynamic motion
seems to be greatly amplified by comparatively small input. A common example
of the parametric oscillator is a child on a playground swing, where the
torque expressed by the swing seems much greater than the physical exertion
to keep it going.

In microwave electronics, a precise waveguide "cavity" as the parametric
oscillator component will convert RF into coherency - thus a maser. This
could be a decent analogy to the HotCat, especially if RF is indeed detected
at some future point, and especially if it is at the 21 cm line (or a
harmonic).

Another example is the OPO, or optical parametric oscillator. Furthermore,
there is no reason why a maser and an OPO (in the IR spectrum) could not be
combined into a single harmonic device, such as a tube in which thermal
input (in the infrared) and RF combine to give an amplified internal
resonance and coherence. But so what? ... one might ask.

Needless to say, it gets more complicated than just amplification or
coherency. Of course, any such device (can we call it MIRPO for maser-IR
parametric oscillator?) would not be gainful in itself, but the
amplification could operate to produce coherent Rydberg energy quanta, and
hydrogen has amenable lines for this.

When we look at hydrogen lines, we see two of them in the IR which can serve
to pump an isomer of hydrogen into deep ground-state redundancy and then
there is the famous microwave line. However, the gain would most likely
derive from soft x-rays at a much higher Rydberg multiple - particularly at
the nickel "hole" of 300 eV. This hypothesis is not Millsean but is derived
from Mills' CQM; and this particular Rydberg "hole" was identified by him 20
years ago. It all fits together elegantly in the HotCat, but that fit alone
does not make it correct.

The thermal gain in this hypothesis would be derived from electrons, and
from lost orbital angular momentum- and thus, the gain is not nuclear and
not exactly chemical. There could be a nuclear nexus (magnons), but we do
not need it for the simplest explanation. In the past we have called this
"supra-chemical."

It provides about 200 times more energy than burning hydrogen in oxygen,
with the by-product (ash) being the "lost" hydrogen. The active atom is
effectively "lost" insofar as its atomic volume has decreased 64^3 or well
over 250,000:1. The ash of the reaction cannot be contained, if it were not
magnetic.

Hydrogen seems to "disappear" but in fact it has "shrunk" down in effective
volume to a state where its increased magnetic susceptibility can draw it
deep into the valence cloud of a ferromagnetic atom (nickel). The fractional
hydrogen (f/H) having given up its angular momentum energy then becomes
bound to such an extent that when tested - in mass spectrometers, much of
what is really a molecule (Ni-H) will look exactly like mass-29, which is
copper, instead of mass-28 which is nickel.

This is probably why Rossi and Focardi mistakenly assumed that nickel was
being "converted" into copper, even though there was no radioactivity. The
strong bonding of Ni with f/H will confuse many mass spectrometers, and it
fooled Focardi into thinking that there was more copper in the ash than
there really was.

                It might be informative for any of us who have an interest
in coherent or semi-coherent emission and absorption in the optical spectrum
(or lower), to take this idea further - and try to find actual parameters
for a stimulated lasing regime which "on paper" could be active inside the
stainless tube of the HotCat. A good place to start is "chemisorption." Can
we "supersize" it?

                Such an outcome could be inadvertent (on Rossi's part) and
it could be "quasi" coherent, in the sense of superradiant. And the purpose
is not to produce a beam per se- but to produce an internal resonance for
thermal gain via a photon positive feedback of some type.

                Here is a paper on optical pumping of an IR laser

http://proceedings.spiedigitallibrary.org/proceeding.aspx?articleid=1006553

                Thermal input alone can in principle provide the IR light
needed by the lasing medium, which we could presume as a starting argument
is a hydrogen based molecule. However, the input of HotCat would surely be
limited to a long wavelength based on 800 degree C thermal radiation unless
it comes from a chemical reaction triggered by that thermal input. If the
gain is related to a whole fraction of the Rydberg energy, then there are
only a few frequencies of interest in this range.

                In the paper above, experiments are performed on a optically
pumped KF or hydrogen fluoride laser. Rotation-vibration transitions in the
(2,0) band around 1.3 micrometers are pumped, and lasing is observed on
(2,1) band transitions near 2.7 micrometers. As fate would have it, a
transition of interest in "chemisorption" known reactions happens to be in
this same micron range. That is the hydrogen-copper system. It has a large
activation energy of .35 to .85 eV. which includes two Rydberg whole
fractions.

                The vibrational excitation of the hydrogen molecule is known
to promote dissociation on low index surfaces of copper and copper nickel.
As it turns out, .85 eV is a whole fraction of the Rydberg energy and along
with .425 eV would be of interest as the active semi-coherent radiation
spectra capable of the ultimate goal - sequential pumping protons lodged in
nickel into deeply redundant ground states ... where gain comes from
conversion of electron angular momentum into energy. No nuclear transitions
are required for this.

                Jones