On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 10:14 AM, Harry Veeder <hveeder...@gmail.com> wrote:

Does he classify them as miracles because he considers them impossible
> or extremely improbable?

My impression only, but he seems to use the term "miracle" to highlight
what is in his view fanciful thinking on the part of the researchers
offering tentative explanations for cold fusion phenomena as of 1992, when
the book was published.  The book is well-researched and refers to many of
the experiments at the time, and he seeks to give the impression of an
objective account.  But one gets the sense that he's incredulous about the
all of the junk science and is just trying to speak slowly to
non-scientists so that they can be assisted to see how impossible all of it
is.  He has a great deal of confidence in his and
other physicists' understanding of the relevant science and is willing to
argue that all of the individual experiments were either misinterpreted,
were done too sloppily to draw any conclusions or were otherwise in error.
 So I would wager that he thinks the miracles are impossible.

Despite these shortcomings, the book is worth getting and reading.  I
learned a lot from it.

It seems to me if he was certain they were impossible he would
> have explicitly mentioned violation of conservation of momentum/energy
> since
> modern physics considers that impossible in no uncertain terms.

The three sections go into a bit of detail.  The third section, on the
missing nuclear products, is quite long, and I would not be surprised at
all if he mentions conservation of momentum, which would be broken for the
rare d+d→4He+ɣ branch if there was no gamma.

Eric