Dave, I've asked our question on phsyics.stackexchange.com -- here's what
has come back so far:

http://physics.stackexchange.com/q/87047/6713

 As I have mentioned on occasions, I see plenty of evidence that both forms

See @dmckee's comment to Suzan Cioc's answer.

> One of the implications of SR is that each observer should experience his
> own local time and motions as being completely normal regardless of any
> relative motion with respect to other observers.

I believe this only applies when no acceleration is involved.  Once one of
the parties steps on the gas pedal, you have a situation where "symmetry is
broken," and the considerations change.

Eric