I read the responses and find the answers to have varying degrees of relevance.
 So far we have not followed closely what an outside observer measures.  At
this point, I agree with SR and GR that other observers looking at the
spaceship will see that it moves at a velocity that does not exceed c.

But, the rocket man on board does not have to look outside to figure out how
much he has accelerated.  Unless his computer is defective, he smoothly reaches
c and will exceed it as he maintains constant acceleration given enough time.
The beginning of his trip can be experienced by anyone today that goes on board
a normal rocket.  There is no magic in that case.  And, since velocity is
relative, once he reaches say 10% of the speed of light according to his
calculations,  he can stop the engine.  This can be repeated indefinitely into
the future if he wishes and at no point would he consider his ship as being
different except for having lost mass due to exhausting some to generate thrust.

This operation is totally consistent with the rules of SR and GR as far as I
can determine.  The spaceman can even measure his ship's mass by using his
accelerometer while monitoring the mass of the exhaust leaving his ship at a
relative velocity of c. He will not see anything unusual about these
calculations at any speed according to his local reference frame.

The muon calculations support this situation quite well when we choose a
viewpoint riding along with the particle.  Again, other external observers
moving at different velocities than us do not agree with our muon accessment.
But, none of them agree with each other either so that is not surprising. :-)
Recall the galactic red shift?  Some of the far off observers would see our
particle as moving slower than light or perhaps zero relative to their
velocity.  Many of these guys would think that the spaceship was moving away
from them when it began its acceleration and after enough time actually come to
rest according to their observations.

Perhaps we should look at the rocket ship from other perspectives soon.

Dave