It's both, Jed and Stewie.  People panicked but they were driviing
slow when the density was low as is evidenced in my vid.  I should put
the whole drive up.  I made the trip quickly because I drove 60 mph
while traffic was travelling at 40 mph.  I wove in and out in the
gaps.  I'm sure that I looked crazy.  People thought the roads were
bad but they weren't.  The density gradient was compressed as a
result.  The roads weren't emptying as fast as normal; so, like a
tsunami, the gradient increased rapidly.  And, as the roads actually
became slick, the motion stopped.

At one point midway through it all, newsmen measured the flow rate.
It was 100 ft in 40 minutes.  Hence, a disaster resulted.