What is it that distinguishes the two types of setups?  Perhaps it is that
they're fundamentally different in nature;

I think the difference involves the nature of the spark discharge. If the
spark imparts a very high level of instantaneous power, pressure is
produced and heat is minimized.

Mills has gone in the wrong direction in forming his spark. It has too many
amps and too few volts. He should have gone in the other direction in spark
formation: very low amps and very high volts. Going the high voltage route
would have increased his COP since little input power is involved for the
same level of instantaneous power production.