I wrote:

It is wonderful in a way, but why not build a desktop version? Even if it
> produces only milliwatts excess, if it can overcome friction and keep going
> it will convince everyone.

Maybe it can't overcome friction? Maybe the gadget resembles a Tokamak, as
in: "You can't make a small one work. It's gotta be big." Or to paraphrase
the potato chip commercial, "you can't heat just one."

You can make a small plasma machine. I don't recall why ITER has to be so
big. Is that the only size that can be self-sustaining, with a fully
ignited reaction? That is weird. I get that a star has to be big, but why a
Tokamak?

And why do they make laser fusion gadgets so huge? See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:NOVA_laser.jpg

Note the person in the middle, looking up at the boxes. Question: What is
he thinking? Can anyone supply a punch line?

How about: "It is true what they say. These things *do* look like Rossi's 1
MW reactor modules. You don't suppose?!?"