From: a.ashfield <a.ashfi...@verizon.net>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Sat, Feb 8, 2014 7:16 pm
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Linear and Angular Momentum

      David              Roberson      Sat, 08 Feb 2014 13:32:56
-0800

"If you look into this scenario in detail, you will see how the total angular
and linear momentum is conserved separately.  The high velocity gas impacts the
large volume of gas and sends the total mass at an average slower velocity in
the direction that the input stream is moving.  The total momentum of the
system would be conserved as always."

    I have trouble with that standard answer.   I don't see how the    large
volume of gas ends up with the same momentum if part of the    energy has been
inevitably converted into heat.   Where does the    extra energy come from?