Blaze Spinnaker <blazespinna...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's also not hard to imagine Saudia Arabia and others panic dumping onto
> the market in order to get out while the getting is good, thus driving the
> price of oil down quickly.

An economist told me that is sure to happen with cold fusion. Even a strong
rumor that cold fusion is real might trigger that.

James Bowery <jabow...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm not sure where I stored Jed's book on my computer but I presume he
> analyzed the critical point in EROEI where it no longer makes sense to use
> various grades of the in-the-ground reserves even as chemical feedstocks.
>  As long as a given grade of reserve remains valuable as chemical
> feedstock, the other valuations will remain to the extent they are related
> to those grades.

I did not do the maths, but I read papers about this, and corresponded with
petrochemical engineers.

Plus I heard from a group of oil company honchos via Hal Putoff. (They
wanted to know about cold fusion.) See chapter 13:

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/RothwellJcoldfusiona.pdf

Here's the story in a nutshell, from that chapter:

". . . I have discussed cold fusion with petroleum experts several times.
They begin by saying that it will not matter in the long run if the market
for oil fuel dwindles away, because oil has many other uses as an
industrial raw material for things like plastic. Nineteen percent of oil is
used in non-energy applications, but experts say that the market will grow
in the future. When Hal Puthoff met with the presidents of Pennzoil,
Texaco, Marathon, Coastal, and other oil companies, they told him they
would welcome zero-cost energy. He paraphrased them: "When we take our
precious resource out of the ground to make nylons, plastics, drugs, etc.,
we don't use up much and we have a large profit margin. When we take it out
of the ground to power automobiles and heat people's homes, it's like
heating your home by burning van Goghs and Picassos. Please take this
burden off our industry. And, by the way, let us buy some to make our
refineries more efficient." With all due respect, I think these executives
were kidding, or this was false bravado. No sane executive would be so
sanguine at the prospect of losing 81% of his business. Why should the oil
company care what the customer does with the product? They get the same $40
per barrel whether the customer burns the stuff or makes nylon out of it.
In any case, I think these executives are wrong. They will lose 100% of
their business. Oil will be worth nothing. I have asked experts: "Could you
synthesize oil from raw materials? If I gave you carbon and water, could
you make any hydrocarbon petrochemical you like?" They say yes, but it
would take fantastic amounts of energy. It would take as much energy to
synthesize oil from carbon and water as you get from burning the oil, plus
some overhead. This would be the most uneconomical chemical plant on earth.
It does not occur to them, at first, that the plant would be cheap to run
if energy costs nothing. . . ."

Actually, they can probably synthesize enough petrochemicals for the
feedstock and lubricant markets from organic sources such as garbage. This
is done already with depolymerization, as I explained in the next
paragraph. This would be a lot cheaper and safer than extracting oil from
the Middle East and shipping it thousands of miles around the world. You
can find local sources of garbage everywhere in the world. The people who
have garbage will pay you to take it from them. You make money at both
ends. The only reason oil is cheaper today is because they extract and ship
so much of it already, they can ship an extra 19% with economies of scale.
Using today's oil industry to produce only 19% of today's output would be a
losing proposition.