On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 2:15 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ridiculous flim-flam artists thrive in Japan. I guess because people take
> things so seriously, they are wide open to grifters and phonies.

I don't know how it is now; but, when I was working with Mitsubishi in
the 80s, Face was still very important in business.  The value of Face
to the culture is so embedded that they expect others to believe the
same.  The idea of grifting is so foreign to their society that it
makes them vulnerable targets.

Do you know anything about bankruptcy laws in Japan?  I had no coins
there but I know some who did.  Do they divide up any assets to pay
off debtors?